Religious & Spiritual Life
At Lakeland College, we are committed not only to academic growth, but also to moral and spiritual growth. Religious and spiritual life activities at Lakeland are designed to create a safe place for students to grow in faith, encounter new religious traditions and even ask questions about their own faith. The office of the Chaplain is committed to respecting and supporting all spiritual and religious traditions that are represented on Lakeland's campus. College is the perfect place to explore your faith and nurture your spiritual life, we look forward to working with you!
Resources available through the Chaplain's Office
- Spiritual Guidance
- Pastoral Care
- Fellowship Opportunities
- Bible Study
- Community Service
- Interfaith Education
- Short and Long-term Volunteer Information
- Lectures and Presentations
Welcome to Ley Chapel! Built in 1971, Ley Chapel has been a home for Spiritual Life activities for the past 40 years. This space belongs to the community, as such, it is open an available for your use from 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. daily. You are welcome to use the sanctuary for personal prayer, devotion, and reflection. In addition, an interfaith prayer room is adjacent to the sanctuary and available for all students. Should you wish to reserve the sanctuary, interfaith prayer room of the lower level of Ley Chapel for a small group, meeting or service please contact the Chaplain.
Interested in getting married in Ley Chapel? Please contact the Margaret Teske at (920) 565-1228, or by email at to check availability for specific dates.
Download the Ley Chapel Rental Contract
Come, and worship with us! Join us at 7:00 p.m. every Wednesday evening for a Christian, student-centered, worship service in Ley Chapel. Our worship is designed to respond to joys and challenges of college life. Each week, students help lead and participate in our worship services. While Lakeland College is affiliated with the United Church of Christ, our ecumenical worship is designed to appeal to all Christians and seekers. All are welcome in Ley Chapel!
The SLC is the student programming board for spiritual life of the Lakeland College community. This group draws together students who have interests that are religious in nature, but diverse in expression. Programs and events hosted by the SCL lift up education, justice, worship, service and friendship.
The Goals of the SLC
- To build a community of people who are committed to nurturing spiritual growth;
- To create an inclusive community that is welcoming to people from all faith backgrounds;
- To create opportunities for conversation about moral and spiritual concerns;
- To promote awareness of religious pluralism;
- To give voice and expression to the religious needs of the Lakeland community;
- To be in service of our local, regional and global community;
- To foster stronger ties between Lakeland College and regional/national religious organizations.
Spiritual Life Council Board 2011-2012
- President: Jenna Oberthaler '14
- Vice President: Amy Borntrager '14
- Public Relations Coordinators: Erica Ebertsch '14
- Events: Vashia Gordon '12, David Werner '14