Alumni, friends enjoy 21st annual Blasters Golf Tournament
Alumni Association - posted on 6/25/2008
A total of 37 Lakeland College graduates, along with many others, competed in the 21st Annual Blasters Golf Tournament at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms in Sheboygan Falls on June 13. The tournament drew over 120 alumni and friends of the college throughout the day.
The Blasters is the primary fundraiser for the Alumni Legacy Scholarship endowment fund at Lakeland which offers financial aid and book awards to relatives of Mission House/Lakeland College alumni. The fund has awarded over $70,000 to deserving students.
Corporate sponsors of this year's event were Bella's Custom Design, Inc., Lamar Outdoor Advertising and Carters, Inc.
The winner of the Open Division was Team Weinfurt, which included 1969 graduate and Lakeland Hall of Famer Greg Weinfurt, Chris Weinfurt, Vince Carco and Steve Kasimatis.
Koch & McCann S.C. won the Corporate Division title. The winning team was made up of Lakeland Trustee Kellett Koch, David Breen, Jim McCann and Terry Winarski.
Due to heavy thunderstorms the day before the event, the field was only able to use six holes, but a good day was still had by all.
This year, eight students were selected to receive the Alumni Legacy Scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must be a blood relative of a Lakeland graduate, have a minimum 2.5 grade point average and have financial need.
This year's winners are:
- Catie Campion, a sophomore majoring in math. She is related to Justin Penke, a 2007 graduate, and Larry Penke, a 2000 graduate. She has participated in Make a Difference Day, "Think Pink!," Conversation Partners and is a middle school math tutor.
- Julianna Dedering, a sophomore majoring in psychology. Her mother is a 2000 graduate, and grandfather is a 1958 graduate. She is a member of LC-CAB and Lakeland Singers.
- Megan Andrews, a senior majoring in history and education. Her brother graduated from Lakeland in 2007. She participated in volleyball, soccer, LC-CAB and mortar board.
- Katrina Leifer, a junior majoring in accounting with a business management minor. Her mother is a 1981 graduate of Lakeland. She recommends Lakeland to her friends looking to transfer.
- Kristine Raeder, a sophomore majoring in business management with a Spanish minor. Her uncle, the late John Gosse `89, encouraged her to be in athletics and she says, "Everything I do at LC reminds me of him." She plays on the volleyball and softball teams and is active in SAAC and SIFE.
- Eric Panske, a junior, majoring in elementary education with a history minor. His twin sisters graduated from Lakeland. He appreciates that Lakeland allows him to, "meet people from many different countries and backgrounds."
- Koecher Vue, a junior majoring in computer science. His father graduated from Lakeland in 1993. He transferred to Lakeland from UW-Sheboygan.
- Lia Vue, a senior majoring in resort management. Her uncle is a 1993 Lakeland graduate. He is active in GSA and AHSA.
Share This Story Help
Lakeland offers links to several popular social bookmarking services. These links help you share stories with other people or create bookmarks for future reference. The services are free, but they require a personal account. Click for more information on social bookmarking
<< Return to News