Severe Weather & Tornado Procedures
The National Weather Service issues a severe weather watches and warnings when severe conditions exist.
Severe Thunderstorm Watch - conditions are conducive to the development of severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning - a severe thunderstorm has actually been observed by spotters or indicated on radar, and is occurring or imminent in the warning area. Severe weather storms are usually characterized by intense electrical activity, heavy rains, high winds, and hail.
Tornado Watch - conditions are conducive to the development of tornadoes in and close to the watch area.
Tornado Warning - a tornado has actually been sighted by spotters or indicated on radar and is occurring or imminent in the warning area. If a tornado warning is issued, all residents should seek shelter immediately.
Lakeland is equipped with a weather siren that will sound continuously to signal you to take cover during a tornado warning. Safety and Security staff, residence life staff, and other members of the professional staff of Lakeland College will inform you when it is safe to come out of shelter.
If you become aware severe weather or a tornado watch, or you have questions about severe weather call security 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at ext. 1126.
Designated Shelter Areas
All shelter areas are labeled with a "Severe Weather Shelter" sign in each building.
- Bradley Building - Take shelter in the Auditorium or Men's and Women's Bathrooms.
- Brotz Hall - Take shelter in the lower level away from windows.
- Campus Center - Take shelter in the Men's and Women's bathrooms, the Resident Life hallway has numerous severe weather shelter areas, or by start of the mailboxes to the doors leading into the Laun Center.
- Chapel - Proceed to the west end of the Chase basement hallway.
- Chase - Take shelter in the basement level hallway, west end.
- Esch Library - Take shelter in the interior offices.
- Friedli-Hofer Suites- Proceed to Krueger or Brotz Hall and take shelter in the basement.
- Grosshuesch Hall - Take shelter in the basement or the first floor hallway.
- Hill, Morland, South and Kurtz Apartments - Take shelter in lower level and laundry room area.
- Krueger Hall - Take shelter in the laundry room and basement hallway.
- Laun Center - Take shelter in Campus Center lower level main hallway and Laun Center Mechanical room.
- Muehlmeier Hall - Take shelter in basement or the first floor hallway.
- Nash Center - Take shelter in basement.
- Old Main - Take shelter in the Men's and Women's Bathrooms and basement areas excluding the classrooms.
- Outdoors - Take shelter in nearest building or if time does not permit lie flat on the ground in a depression or ravine.
- Verhulst - Take shelter in the rehearsal hallways.
- Wehr - New Side- All of the Men, Women, and Staff locker rooms. Old Side- Entire Gymnasium, Assistant Coaches Offices, classroom (located next to the Assistant Coaches Offices), all of the Men and Women locker rooms, and the Training Room.
- Wm. A. Krueger Hall - Take shelter in the basement hallway or rooms that lead off of the hallway.