Lakeland University senior Jessica Luecke, an accounting major from Fox Point, Wis., was named the winner of the 52nd annual Clarence H. Koehler Award, the university's top award for undergraduate students. The award was announced at the annual Honors Banquet on April 5.
Luecke, who graduated in December, amassed an impressive resume of leadership and involvement during her time at Lakeland.
The Koehler Award is presented each year to a Lakeland senior who best exemplifies "The Lakeland Spirit" by his or her participation in and support of the university's programs and activities. To be eligible, graduates must complete all four undergraduate years at Lakeland and maintain a high level of academic achievement.
"I am proud to say that the search for who I am, what I want to do and where I see myself in five to 10 years isn't a question anymore," Luecke said. "Lakeland provided me all of those answers while delivering the education to make sure those plans are not only on paper, but a reality. My experience here was one of a kind, and one that I am honored to have."
Luecke works in the global tax department at Actuant Corporation in Menomonee Falls, Wis. The winner of the 2017 Outstanding Student in Accounting award, Luecke served a pair of internships as a student, one as an actuary intern with Towers Western Consulting Firm in Milwaukee, and one as international intern at La Paz Resort in Heredia, Costa Rica.
She also graduated with a minor in Spanish, and was a member of the Lakeland Spanish National Honor Society. She studied abroad at the University of Madrid in Spain the summer of 2015.
Faculty and staff often turned to Luecke to help organize student support, and she never disappointed. She was president of the Lakeland Foundation Board and the Accounting Club, and Student CEO of the Year for the Accounting Club and Foundation Board.
She was an officer for the Pi Kappa Gamma sorority and a member of the Fraud Competition Planning Committee, the Lakeland Campus Activities Board, the Lakeland Excels at Professionalism Committee and a facilitator for the Lakeland Leadership Conclave.
She prepared tax returns as part of Lakeland Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, served as a writing and business tutor and student services program assistant and worked for Lakeland's admissions department as a campus ambassador and call team member.
The award is named for the Rev. Clarence Koehler, who graduated from the college in 1937 and from the seminary in 1939. He later became a member of the college's board of trustees and was chairman of the board in 1957 when he passed away at age 48.
The Rev. Koehler was an outstanding student and participated in numerous activities on campus, including music, athletics, student publications and managing the campus bookstore. He maximized his college experience, and this award honors that spirit.
Other winners at Wednesday night's banquet included:
- Outstanding Student in Accounting: Jessica Luecke
- Outstanding Student in Hospitality Management: Katrien Rogers
- Outstanding Student in Marketing: Ashley Thomas
- Outstanding Student in Business Administration: Nathaniel Cooper
- Outstanding Student in Sport Management and Leadership: Afton Barrows
- Outstanding Student in Communication: William Franke
- Outstanding Student in Music: Reggie Nimmer
- Outstanding Student in Theatre: Mayce Bacon
- Outstanding Student in Writing: Danielle Livingston & Karalee Manis
- Outstanding Student in English: Megen Schramm
- Outstanding Student in Religion: Emma Landowski
- Outstanding Student in Art: Callah Kraus
- Outstanding Student in History: Zachary Petrowsky
- Outstanding Student in Biochemistry: Taylor Green & Suzette Rosas
- Outstanding Student in Biology: Brooke Wilder-Corrigan
- Outstanding Student in Chemistry: Brianne Frank
- Outstanding Student in Exercise Science: Samantha Williams
- Outstanding Student in Education: Mikayla Schnell
- Outstanding Student in Criminal Justice: Daniel Matijevic
- Outstanding Student in Psychology: Ariel Lochman
- Outstanding Student at Lakeland University Japan: Ikko Nishimura
- Ellen J. Kregel Athletic Award: Samantha Williams
- Erroll B. Davis, Jr. Award: Tina Castillo
- Senior Honors Program: Jamie Gundlach
- Who's Who awards: Jessica Beaudry, Nathaniel Cooper, David Del Ponte, Madison Doll, Bailey Grayvold, Megan Hellmer, Hailey Jester, Sara Judge, Avinash Limbu, Danielle Livingston, Jacob Nault, Eric Nygaard, Suzette Rosas, Rachel Stankevich, Michael Whitley, Brooke Wilder-Corrigan, Samantha Williams, Sarah Willihnganz.