Lakeland University recently launched a $12 million campaign that will include a $6 million revitalization of its Younger Family Campus Center.
Coupled with the previously announced new outdoor athletic facility, a $2.8 million project, Lakeland will be making nearly $9 million in upgrades to its main campus, located in rural Sheboygan County. Another $4 million will be raised for student scholarships.
The outdoor athletic facility work is ongoing and will be completed in the fall. The field will be home to Lakeland's football and men's and women's soccer programs, and will be available for extensive community use.
Target completion for the Campus Center is fall of 2018.
"Once this work is completed, the Younger Family Campus Center will be a jewel for our main campus," said Lakeland President David Black. "The Campus Center has been altered and adapted several times since its construction in 1964. The current facility is dated and lacks the social vitality and sense of place to be a true social hub for Lakeland.
"The architectural design study completed as part of this project describes a vision for a Campus Center that will be uniquely suited to Lakeland's current and future social and academic needs. It also leverages state-of-the-art student center design practices that reflect the latest trends in higher education."
The revitalized Campus Center will fulfill a variety of roles, including:
- Addressing healthy lifestyles through new dining options and setups that promote healthy eating and socializing.
- Offering additional space for Lakeland's Student Success & Engagement program, including hosting coaching sessions, workshops and small events to support students in achieving their goals.
- Providing an enhanced environment for community-building, camaraderie and personal growth – enriching the spirit of Lakeland and the individual lives of our students.
- Providing commuters with a place to "touch down" between classes so they can feel more connected to the campus community.
- Providing spaces to host a variety of events and activities.