The region's most popular night out is preparing for one of the biggest stages in the area.
The 11th annual Lakeland University Movers & Shakers Gala is moving to the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Sheboygan. The show is Saturday, May 19, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
And that's not the only exciting change.
This year's lineup will include four community celebrity teams, along with four local celebrities paired with professional dancers in what will be one of the best shows yet.
The venue change is accommodating significant construction at Lakeland, as the institution is renovating its Campus Center.
"As we considered what to do for a year to accommodate all the great changes happening at Lakeland, we quickly settled on the most beautiful room in the county – the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts," said Deb Wente, a Lakeland Trustee and the chair of the Movers & Shakers Gala planning committee.
"This year's lineup on the amazing Weill Center stage will be impressive. The one thing that has not changed is the strong community support and volunteer interest, which keeps this event alive. These people join our celebrities, local companies and our guests who give financially to make this evening successful."
In 10 years, Movers & Shakers has raised more than $2 million for Lakeland and more than 35 public organizations.
All 2018 Gala proceeds will support Lakeland University student scholarships. Each dancer and each team has selected a student, and those students will each receive a $5,000 scholarship. The winning team and winning dancer will each earn an additional $5,000 for their student.
Lakeland students were invited to apply for the scholarship, and the winners were selected through an interview process.
Major sponsors of this year's Gala are the Presenting sponsor: Frank G. and Frieda K. Brotz Family Foundation; Reception sponsor: Sargento Foods Inc.; Production sponsor: Studio Gear; Technology sponsor: BMO Harris Bank; Invitation printing sponsor: Zimmermann Printing Co.; VIP swag bag sponsors: Bemis Manufacturing Company and Festival Foods; Partners: Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts and The Berkshire.
The 2018 teams include:
- Team Great Marriages, which includes board members, donors and friends of Great Marriages, a Sheboygan County nonprofit organization with a vision of a community of vibrant, strong, joyful, life-long marriages.
- Team Coastal YPN, which includes leaders from Coastal, the young professional's network of the Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce.
- Team RCS Empowers, which includes staff, board members, participants and friends of RCS Empowers, a nonprofit which empowers individuals with disabilities and special needs so that they may work, live and function with dignity and respect.
- Team Lakeland, which is a group of Lakeland graduates and current/former Lakeland employees.
The 2018 dancer lineup is made up of:
- Deidre Martinez, the new executive director of the Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce.
- Brent Neevel, owner of Sheboygan Fit Body Boot Camp.
- Grant Pauly, founder and brewmaster of 3 Sheeps Brewing Company.
- Cassy Tully, an accomplished artist known for creating landscapes using her signature relief-painting technique.
Complete biographies of each dancer are available on the Movers & Shakers website, https://moversandshakersgala.org/dancers.
Emcee for the evening will be Charlie Krebs, Lakeland associate professor of theatre and speech.
There are three ticket options available. Purchase tickets online at https://moversandshakersgala.org/tickets or contact Kym Leibham, Lakeland manager of corporate relations and special events, at .
You don't have to attend the event to help support your favorite dancer. Anyone can purchase votes for $20 each, prior to the event at the Movers & Shakers website.
You can also be part of the pre-event buzz by joining dancers, committee members, guests and volunteers on Facebook at https://moversandshakersgala.org/facebook. "Like" the event page for regular updates.
If you want to get behind the scenes and help make this evening possible, a number of volunteer opportunities are open to the community. More information is available at https://moversandshakersgala.org/volunteer.