Lakeland University Blog

Lakeland, Lakeshore Tech team up to offer free tax prep

Lakeland, Lakeshore Tech team up to offer free tax prep


Lakeland, Lakeshore Tech team up to offer free tax prep

Lakeland University and Lakeshore Technical College (LTC) are partnering again this year to help collect tax refunds for area residents who need it the most.

Students in the accounting program from each institution will provide free tax preparation and electronic filing for low income tax filers. Lakeland started offering this service, which is available through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), in 2005. LTC students began participating in 2010. The program is designed to help low-to-moderate income people file their tax returns.

CliftonLarsonAllen is sponsoring the VITA program this year.

The service is available through LTC at its Cleveland campus, 1290 North Ave., and through Lakeland at the Sheboygan Salvation Army, 710 Pennsylvania Ave. Reservations are required for the tax service.

  • LTC's Cleveland campus: Tax prep is available on Tuesdays from 1-4 p.m. and 5:30-8:30 p.m. starting Feb. 4 and ending March 31. To reserve a spot at LTC, call 920-693-1398. Phone calls for the LTC site are accepted starting on Jan. 27 between 9 a.m.-12 p.m. on Mondays and 12-3 p.m. on Wednesdays.
  • Sheboygan Salvation Army: Tax preparation will be open on Thursdays from 5-9 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. starting Feb. 1 and ending April 9. To reserve a spot at the Salvation Army, call 920-565-1000 ext. 2290. Phone calls are accepted between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Reservations will be accepted beginning January 27.

Last year, students from the two institutions prepared and filed approximately 400 returns that helped local taxpayers collect close to $1 million in refunds.

People interested in taking advantage of this free service must have income under $56,000 a year. Applicants must bring:

  • A photo ID
  • Social security cards for themselves, their spouse and dependents
  • W-2 forms
  • 1099 forms
  • Rent certificate or 2019 property tax bill
  • A copy of their 2018 tax return.

Returns cannot be done for those taxpayers having income from outside Wisconsin sources, those having complex tax returns, those having rental income, those who are non-US residents and those who are married filing separately.